sprite ownership at last

To: "Sprite Maling List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: sprite ownership at last
From: "R. Toby Atwater" <tob@taltec.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:31:05 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
    Well after about a month being subscribed to the list, I have found a
sprite in what I would call very good condition. It is a 1969 sprite mark 4.
Thanks to the list that is... Found it not to far from home and bought it
from another list member. Anyway, the car looks great, just a small patch of
rust just on the usual passenger side door post. Not much rust (in CA). The
rest of the car looks great. When I got it home, my family was giving the
oohhhs and the ahhhhs. They though I would be buying a clunker rusted
everywhere. But no.
Mechanically. It doesn't run but Im getting excellent compression on all 4
cylinders and it seems in generally good shape. Maybe just an afternoon of
carb adjusting and distributor fussing will get it to start and run. A new
battery is the 1st thing on the shopping list. I would think that with the
car running, I would be able to diagnose more major problems. It has a bad
1st gear, and I've never worked on transmissions before, so for the future
I'm looking at the Datsun 5 speed conversion.... or else reading the entire
Haynes chapter on trannys and buying just the gear that I need...

Thanks for all your help up to date and I'm sure I will be needing more in
the future so thanks!...

Tob
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/9157/
Santa Barbara, CA       tob@taltec.net
1971 FJ-40 Toyota Land Cruiser (daily driver stock everything...)
1969 Austin Healey Sprite mark 4  (in restoration now!)
1998 yellow labrador "Milou" (puppy only 4 months old) he likes the Sprite
better