Re: No seatbelts

To: Justin Cook <justincook@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: No seatbelts
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:47:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Justin Cook wrote:

> Question: Are these the original mounting hardware for seatbelts?  Or
> a better question might be did this car have factory seat belts?
> (Sorry I wasn't around in 67)

Yes, and no.  Cars back then were required to come with the mounting
points, but not the belts.  My 67 came with lap belts, but that may be
dealer installed anyway.

> Question2: Does anyone have advice on what I ought to install to
> protect my precious body?
> Does anyone have any belts from a parts car they would like to sell?

I have used two different setups.  First the 3 point belts from Moss
(supposedley JC Whitney has the same ones for less), they work, but need
constant readjustment because they are not inertia reel.  Also if you have
oily floors from a trans leak, your belt will pick it up and get it on
your date's dress....
Now I use the inertia reel belts out of a 79 Midget.
The belts are nothing special, but there are some special brackets that
bolt to the mounting bolts and make the reel sit level.
This is a very nice setup and I hopefully at one point receive brand new
belts through the Rover seatbelt recall (if that ever happens).

You could buy one static belt and try out if you like it.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9