Re: Nevada Beige vs OEW

To: hgoede@uswest.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nevada Beige vs OEW
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:47:59 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/18/99 12:53:12 AM, hgoede@uswest.com writes:

<< In digging under the coats of paint when I first acquired my '59 I found
the original color which I thought to be Old English White.  I was
familiar with this color because my Mom's 64 midget.  But lately I've
been seeing cars on the net that appear to be the same color but are
described as Nevada Beige.  Can someone please describe the difference.
Were both available at the same time? >>

Herb,

Nevada Beige is a hard color to describe but is sort of like the
gray/tan/touch of red such as some of the sand stones in Utah for instance.
The color is also called Whitehall by BMC in non USA markets.  To the best of
our knowledge this color was only offered in "1960" and we have never seen it
on any other BMC product.  The 1960 is in quotes because of the question of
when the production year starts vs when the car was sold.  Our car is a 1960
(sold in Feb. 1960) but was actually built in Nov. 1959 for the 1960 model
year.  BMC's Body Service Parts List of body colors list Nevada Beige for
AN5's but does not list years.  We have both the 1959 and 1960 sales flyers
and they are identical except for the colors.  The 1960 colors are a stick on
that has been pasted over the 1959 colors.  Very few cars were painted in
Nevada Beige while a considerable number were painted in Old English White.

Hope this helps.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)