Re: Badge Mystery

To: Bill & Cindy <fatboy@metro.net>
Subject: Re: Badge Mystery
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:22:44 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bill & Cindy wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> It seems that we have run up against another little mini-mystery with our
> 69 MKIV Sprite.
>
> Currently, there is no "Sprite" badge on the trunk lid and after conferring
> with others on the list and referring to the various manuals and
> catalogs...it's obvious that there is supposed to be one.
>
> The mystery is...just exactly where it should be. I can find no evidence of
> holes  or holes that were bondoed or welded shut by a previous owner. I
> assume the R and the I of the "SPRITE" should be centered on the deck lid
> handle and placed somewheres near the center of the deck lid.
>
> Could one of you other MKIV owners provide us with some measurements?
> Something like "X" inches up from the center of the lock handle and "X"
> inches from the edge of the lid. Of course, this assumes that the mounting
> is parallel to the ground and not canted. Whatever...any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also...since I don't have the badge in hand yet, I'm not sure how it
> acually attaches. Again, I assume some sort of pins on the back of the
> badge that pass through holes in the trunk lid and pal nuts or clips that
> hold the whole dealy-bopper to the trunk lid. Am I close?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,
>

> Bill & Cindy
> Santa Rosa, CA
>
> 98 Sea Ray 190 BR
> 96 Yellow Lab
> 94 Ford F150 4x4
> 91 Tioga Montara
> 72 Midget parts car
> 69 Sprite driver
> Assorted teen-agers
I went out to our 69 Sprite with the intention of taking a measurement
but found that there is a better way of telling you how to locate the
Sprite badge. If you lift up the trunk lid and look up inside you will
see a large open area just above where the boot latch goes, then further
up the lid there are two smal squarish openings. Drill your holes in the
center of these openings and you will have the holes to mount your
badge. These holes are on all four lids I looked at, but apparently are
only intended for the Sprite badge as none of the Midget lids had
anything in this location. In addition to the Sprite badge our car wears
a "Roy Price Buick" dealer badge, that features a smiley face in the
script. I am hoping I can get it off when I strip the paint off the car,
as I feel it gives the car a little bit of history as the dealership is
long gone, but there are still people in the area that remember it.

Mark Snowdon
69 Sprite
71 & 73 Midgets
82 320i, the soon to be foul weather car