Re: rear seal

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: rear seal
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:21:16 EST
Cc: pasgeirsson@juno.com, robert@woozy.com, Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com, mhanna@ball.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi David,

Briefly, this is the process.  You remove the main bearing cap and the
crescent shaped "sacred, never remove this" piece from the block.  You
then drill a series of interconnecting holes around the sealing surfaces
of each piece. After putting on a release agent on the crankshaft bearing
surface, you then put some epoxy in the holes you have drilled, assemble
to the crank and let set 24 hours or so to cure. When you now remove
these pieces, you have an impression of the archimedes scroll on these
pieces.  They are raised of course.  With some provided tools you remove
only the projections, leaving the smooth flat areas alone. Now you place
both pieces back on the engine and the smooth surfaces left are now the
seal against the crank.  This removes any assorted poor fit of each piece
and make a really close seal on the rear main.  Lots of fiddly work
involved, but results are great.

Lots of minor things omitted about this process in the above paragraph,
so don't try it with just the info above.  It's only an explanation of
the process.

I've used this on every engine I've rebuilt in the last approx 25 years
and it is well woth the hassle in doing it.

Instructions are well illustrated with half tones of the process.

Paul
Morriservice
PAsgeirsson