Re: Across the USA, wreches, big plans.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Across the USA, wreches, big plans.
From: Bruce Henderson <bhndrson@west.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 02:17:00 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
R. Toby Atwater wrote:

>> Bigger plans....Has anybody been on great distances with their Sprite? I
have 4 months to prepare the sprite for a glorious summer. How reliable are
these little cars? Has anybody done it? <<

>> Don't worry about the comfort level. I have done great distances in my
Land Cruiser with only 3 gears with out overdrive and no Top or doors. Top
Speed: 60-65 mph with the engine red lining the whole way and the CD-player
full blast. about 3 days with sleep stops only. <<

Please note that Toby is still of the age where such masochistic abuse is a
delight to the senses.  I remember when I drove my Datsun 510 from LA to
Washington DC in 58 hours.  By the time I hit Indiana I was hallucinating
big time (far too much NoDoz and far too little sleep), but I did have a
serious deja vu experience on a bridge overpass where I pulled over (in
Ohio).  It was exactly as I dreamed many times as a kid (younger by 15 years
or so, that is).  Nothing eerie about the dream - it was just of me looking
at the highway from the overpass - BO-ring (as my rambling is getting to be).

However, I envy Toby's endeavor.  I intend to do some serious cross country
traveling in my 356 one of these days.  The way I figure it, pack the
spares, do a good tuneup, change the fluids and hoses, flush the radiator
and refill with fluids of choice, check/reline the brakes and get on out the
driveway with a plan to stay off the interstates.

Regards to the list,
Bruce Henderson