Tire size for Sprite Mk II

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire size for Sprite Mk II
From: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:13:30 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have a 61-62 Sprite Mk II, and need to replace the tires.  I have the
stock rims.  I could go with 155, but thought it might be nice to get a
wider tire and smaller sidewall height.  I can't find any 155/70, although
165/70, 175/70, and 185/60  are available.  Does anybody know which of
these tires will fit my car without modifying the fenders or going to
offset springs?  Also, will they all fit on the stock rims?  I've been told
that 185/60 will fit if I put spacers on the wheel studs to keep the tires
away from the springs, but I can't believe they wouldn't then hit the rear
fenders.  Also, is the performance difference between 155 tires and the
other tires very noticable?

Thanks,

Ric Otte

Richard Otte