Fan Placement

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan Placement
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:24:52 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I got a mechanical engineering friend of mine to ponder the fan
placement theories and this is what he came up with:

     My thoughts as an engineer who believes in technology:

     1.  Fans work on volumes of air and heat transfer is based on mass
of
     air (number of molecules).

     2.  A volume of air will contain more mass at a lower temperature.
     --> fan on front

     3.  A volume of air will contain more mass at a higher pressure.
-->
     fan on front

     4.  More room in engine compartment would be nice.  --> fan in
front

     5.  Front or back, you need a shroud because the path of least
     resistance (lowest pressure drop) is around the radiator, not
through
     it.

     My thought as the technophobe that I really am:

     Shrouding the front of the radiator means you're relying on the fan
     cool the engine.  I think you would get more air through the
radiator
     with the shroud on the back if the fan fails.

     Realistically:

     It probably wouldn't make enough difference to an old engine to
even
     matter.  Especially if the hole in the front of the shroud is big.
     recommend performing lots of on-the-road tests to determine if one
     configuration is better than the other.  :)

Anyway, conclusion:  Inconclusive

adrian

--
J. Adrian Barnes