Sudden loss of power

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Sudden loss of power
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:45:45 PST
Cc: mrbugeye@hotmail.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Help, The Healey club has a dyno session planned for Saturday, I took
the Bugeye for a drive to warm it before giving it a quick tune up. It
has no power over 4500 rpm. Will not go over 4700 in 3rd gear. Used to
redline in 3rd and pull 5300rpm in 4th. So far I've swapped the
distributor and coil, checked that the carbs are opening all the way,
topped up the dampers, checked the timing, checked the valves.
No Change.
It will redline in second but reluctantly. It's not misfiring, idles
fine, no smoke out the exhaust. When in third it just will not go over
4700rpm but sounds fine.
It has a 948cc, 1 1/8 carbs, pretty much original.
Help save a Sprite from embarrasment in front of a bunch of Big Healeys
and give me a hint of where to look next.
It got too cold to work outside so as yet I have not done a compression
test, or checked to make sure that a mouse has not built a nest in my
exhaust.
I think it's jealous cause I've been working on the FIAT and the FORD
and been neglecting it.
Thanks,
Peter S.