Re: while on the subject... (suspension)

To: Toby Atwater <tob@taltec.net>
Subject: Re: while on the subject... (suspension)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:03:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Sprite Maling List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Toby,

> While on the subject of springs....
> Well, I met a Midget owner at school a couple days ago and I showed him my
>sprite.
> He seemed to know a lot about it and commented on some points:
>
>     He says my springs are very tired. It is true, when someone sits in the
> driver's seat, it leans a tad that way. Is this normal? He says that he
>changed to
> some kind of "500 LB racing springs", anybody have any info on this? I see
>leaf

He is probably talking about the front coil springs.  500lbs is
ridiculous.  Stock springs are 271 lbs, sport springs typically are 1"
lower and around 340lbs.  I wouldn't go much stiffer than that for the
street.

> springs under the rear, is this what he talking about?

Leafs in the leaf spring can break which will make the car lean.  You
should look for some cracked leafs and then maybe look for some good used
springs.

I also observed some unusual
> looking struts, my father says that was just the British style. Any info
>would be
> great.

No struts on this car.  A strut is a telescopic shock with a coil spring
around it.  Our cars have lever shocks, unlike 99.9% of other cars.  Your
father is right.

I have never touched suspension components on any car! Know very little
> about them except for the whole "un sprung" weight vs. "sprung" weight issue.
>But
> that's about it.

Before you make any changes to your suspension, you should figure out how
everything works by looking at manuals and asking questions.  The front
suspension is a little strange and can be hard to figure out, so look at
some good diagrams and at your car when you have a wheel off.  It also
likes to wear out and is not very cheap to fix (but worth it and oftern
necessary).

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9