Bonneville stuff Little LBC

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville stuff Little LBC
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:11:00 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well the season opener in North Carolina is just around the Corner and The
old Camaro is starting to look up....

quick review for those of you who are new to the list... I am a certified
Healey nut... big and little... and somehow got fascinated with Donald
Healey's efforts on the Salt Flats of Bonneville..... I decided 5 or so
years ago to repeat the effort.... well todays world of Racing in
Bonneville dictates several other problems and the bottom line is that I am
building a Healey to run on the Salt but for the next year or so .. I am
going to test all of the components to the car with this Camaro... What
that does is allow me to run a car and learn some more before I actually
build a car that is capable of beating the current record at Bonneville
232mph... To go back and repeat Donald's actual record would be
unobtainable... for a lot of reasons.. but the real answer is that the body
to my Long term Race car is going to Be a Healey... A bugeye to be exact...

Okay all of that having been said... here we go... the winter improvements
to the Camaro have been extensive.... we installed a complete air ride
suspension system which will allow us to adjust the attitude of the car as
well as load it on a trailer... this thing is 3 inches off the ground in
the back and the front is set to one inch for racing... the rear tires are
one of the components you change to adjust gearing.. and this will allow us
to maintain a constant attitude....Oh the side benefit is that changing
spark plugs is a bunch easier with the car raised 6 inches...

new heads... cam, intake, headers, INSTRUMENTS.... wow...to include a
Pyrometer. which will monitor exhaust gas temp on two cylinders and have a
warning light to indicate a lean condition.
The whole car is really very different then it was the last race in Oct...
and I am really looking forward to the first hard pass here on the East
coast...

If any of you are interested your welcome to come spectator.. the Race is
on the 27 of March in Maxton North Carolina.. at the Maxton airfield..
there is no entry fee and there is a ton of neat hardware.... Bonneville
racers are a strange bunch.... and the cars are very interesting..  Oh and
there is one LBC geek hanging out in a corner running an old Camaro....with
a smile and a diet coke

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camero ( Land Speed
Racer)