Re: welding

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welding
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 09:57:21 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Tom!
Gas welding is not difficult to learn -- it just takes some practice to
become good at it.  That's pretty much true for all welding techniques.
You could take a welding course at a local community college, which is what
I did.
However, gas welding or brazing can put too much heat into body panels and
cause them to warp.  MIG (metal inert gas) welding is much more user
friendly for operator and panels, and can accommodate all of your bodywork
needs.  The unit I bought last year (Craftsman 85-amp) can be used either
with a gas (argon or argon/CO2) or flux-cored wire (no gas required).
I have found it very easy to use, and useful for all kinds of fabricating
and repair jobs.  The cost for the unit I bought, with the additional kit
for welding aluminum and stainless, was about $350.  It's hard to get any
bodywork done at a shop for less than that.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain