RE: Shocks

To: "'Nory P'" <nory_midget@yahoo.com>, "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>, "'Peter C.'" <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: RE: Shocks
From: "Gronberg, John" <john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:20:18 -0600
Cc: "'Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I replaced the fluid in my shocks this winter. The rear shocks were
installed in 1989 and I hadn't serviced them in years. The rears were in
pretty good shape but still had lots of metal fillings and what looked like
pieces of "O" ring rubber.  The fronts were only three years old but still
had some "particle" matter inside. While I agree with some people who
indicate the shock, "under normal circumstances" should not need fluid or
much maintenance, sometimes the quality of the shock "rebuilds" you get over
the counter these days, leaves something to be desired.  My experience tells
me the shock can leak fluid and the internal bushings do shed metal
fillings. I would guesrtmate a clean out a refill would be prudent about
every 25000 or so miles depending on your driving style.

-
Regards
John Gronberg
Siemens Building Technologies, Inc.