re: seatbelt recall

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: re: seatbelt recall
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:52:14 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/24/99 9:51:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Lancer7676@aol.com writes:

<< Secondly:  The NHTSA  had no information about a seatbelt recall on the MG
 Midget.  No recall had been issued.  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It looks like David is correct.  I was sure that I saw this recall somewhere,
so I searched on the NHTSA web site.  I found this seatbelt recall:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 85V059000

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:SEAT BELTS:LAP:FRONT
Manufacturer: JAGUAR CARS
Year: 1978
Make: MG
Model: MGB
Manufactured From: To:
Year of Recall: '85
Type of Report: Vehicle
DUAL SENSITIVE SEAT BELTS HAS LEAD TO NON-USE OF BELTS BY A NUMBER OF OWNERS.
SOME BELTS RETRACTORS MAY JAM, BIND OR LOCK. THIS MAY DISCOURAGE THE USE OF
THE SAFETY BELTS. CONSEQUENCE OF DEFECT: NON-USE OF SEAT BELTS SUBJECTS
OCCUPANTS TO RISK OF INJURY IN EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT OR SUDDEN BRAKING.

INSTRUCTINS ON PROPER BELT USAGE AND SIMPLE CHECKS WILL BE SENT TO OWNERS AND
WILL REPLACE ANY MALFUNCTIONING RETRACTOR.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: TWO DOOR ROADSTERS AND COUPES PASSENGER CARS.

SYSTEM: SEAT BELTS.

This is for MGBs in the 1976-1980 range.  I'll keep looking to see where I saw
the info on Midget recalls.  The only ones I found in the 1976-1979 range were
for a bad fuel line mounting braket and missing VIN plates.  Older recalls had
to do with brake leaks.

Oh well, I guess I'll buy a new set of belts too.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport