Re: Help!! No not the Beatle's song

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help!! No not the Beatle's song
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:55:38 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Toby Atwater wrote:

> I just did these last week.... 1st off the ones that were included with my new
> wheel cylinder from Moss didn't fit at all. Even out of the car with the
>cylinder
> in a vice. I  decided to use the old clips. (Strike 2 against Moss) I just
> struggled for an hour and I determined that I needed 3 arms to do it. However
> found this technique to be pretty good: use the brake line as something to
>hold it
> in place for now (don't bend it) I used a pair of needle nose and got one of
>the
> tips into its groove. now with the pliers you can nudge the other one into
>its own
> groove., the center will go in by itself... the tips are the part that you
>can hold
> with your pliers so use em. Also get the bleeder valve out of there.. it only
>makes
> things worse. also I found just assembling it in your hands out side the car
>helps.
> Do it a few times.
>
> don't pull a plier incident like  I did! my chins still sore...
> What I can't believe is that the WHOLE thing puts force on this c clip! the
>shoes
> and everything! sometimes you wonder what the British guys were thinking....
>
> good luck...
>
> Toby
> Santa Barbara, CA       tob@taltec.net
> 1969 Austin Healey Sprite mark 4  (in restoration now!)
> Patiance et longeur de temps, vaut meux que force ni que mal.
>
> >I am replacing the wheel cylinders on our 69 Sprite, and can't get the
> >$%#%^$& c clip in behind the cylinder, in  order to hold it onto the
> >backing plate. Is there a trick to doing these clips. Should i be
> >inserting the center of the clip in the groove or the tips and then
> >cramming the center down, or what. Please help...
> >
> >Mark Snowdon
> >Greensboro NC

Thanks for the tip Toby. The master mechanic in the family was able to
do exactly as you suggested and got the c clip on as it should be. She
may never let me live this down....However I did manage to even the
score by being able to locate the brake shoe springs after her attempt
didn't work.Thanks you all for your help, especially those of you who
made suggestions on which drink went with which cars. But one question
remains, what kind of car do you work on while drinking Tequila?????And
who wants to go for a ride in it?

Mark Snowdon
BRGsboro,NC