Floor - Rear Spring Box Structural Repair Help

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor - Rear Spring Box Structural Repair Help
From: "Larry Bull" <lbull@dreamscape.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:15:04 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Last night while looking over my newly acquired 60 Bugeye I discovered
cracks in the bracing and floor panel area on the rear driver side next to
the rear cockpit bulkhead where the spring base plate bolts to the floor
from underneath.  It appears that this is allowing the car to sag about 1/2
inch since when I raised it back into place the doors squared up and closed
much better than before.  I had planned on striping the entire car down and
doing some extensive work next winter but hoped that my son and I could use
it for the summer and shake the mechanical's out before we started that
process, now I am not sure.

My question.  Is there a way to do a temp repair and bracing to this area
that would allow us to drive it without feeling unsafe for the next few
months.  Have some of you done this and how has it worked out.  We don't
intend to drive the car hard just enjoy the summer with the top down and use
next winter to do it right.

One side question about safety!  Do you guys who do welding repairs on cars
that are not stripped, remove the gas tank 1st or what.  Just checking don't
want to be our next astronaut.

Keep the Rubber Side Down!
Larry Bull - lbull@dreamscape.com
62 AH BT7 Tri Carb