40 DCOE Update and First Extended Drive

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 40 DCOE Update and First Extended Drive
From: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:45:16 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I thought I had the Weber where it would at least run ok. It runs great in
the garage and on short trips around the neighborhood. Saturday was my first
chance to get it out on the hiway. It ran perfect for about a mile. Then it
just bogged down and died. Pulled a plug and it was black and wet.

Got it home and let it cool down and pulled the carb and manifold. There was
a puddle of gas in each port on the head.

Installed the old Weber downdraft without the air cleaner (will not fit
under the bonnet with cleaner installed) and took the car out for it's first
extended drive since assembly.

Run and rides great, Sandi was even impressed.

The front suspension is the best I have ever had on a Bugeye (Frontline
Shock conversion, 350lb springs, rubber bushings, and a 3/4" anti-roll bar.
The front is even better than I had hoped when I was putting all this
together.

A Panhard rod or axle stabilizer is next on the list as the tires rub the
springs during hard cornering.

Problem:
There is a clunk in the right rear. It happens exactly when the tire impacts
something on the road, there is a big thunk. Sounds like a metal part
hitting the bottom of the car. It seems to happen at any speed.

I can bounce the rear up and down and don't get any clunking and it does not
happen when the car is rocked back and forth sideways (person on each rear
wheel pulling and pushing back and forth).

There is no play in the drive train and rocking the wheels forward and
backward (rear on jack stands) does not produce any noise.

I have checked every nut and bolt and there is nothing loose and I can't see
where any thing has been hitting. All the suspension parts are new,
including new not rebuilt shocks, springs, control arms, rebound straps and
buffers, etc.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Larry Miller "A Fool (For LBC's) And His Money Are Soon Parted"
59 Bugeye (Being Ripped Apart)
60 Bugeye (If I Can Just Get This DCOE To Work)
78 911 SC Targa (Faster than a Bugeye but not as much fun)
Home Page http://ado13.com