Re: Spring Rates??

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spring Rates??
From: Kroyell@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:55:22 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/29/99 4:15:39 AM, Ric_Bergstrom@britishcarclub.com
writes:

<<Why are you cahnging springs?

Anti-rollbar and a panhard rod sound like the fix for sway and rear

steer.

If you are happy with the srping rate why not use blocks in the rear

and a lowering kit in the front..cheap and very easy to do.

Richard Bergstrom, President

Central Virginia British Car Club

Richmond VA

We welcome all British Cars in the Central Virginia Area

E-mail me for details!

->>

Hi Richard
I am changing the springs because as I mentioned the rears are broken and the
fronts are too soft. The car sways to the point of being dangerous at speeds
above 40mph when turning from side to side. Its down right scary on the
freeways out here (Utah) where the legal speed limit is 65 and most people go
faster than that. The ride height is OK but for all I know with the worn out
and broken springs I may already be 1" lower than stock. Maybe that is the
question I should be asking, anyone want to take a measurement or two? Mine is
7inches in front and 6 3/4 in the Rear when measuring from the garage floor to
the bottom edge of the outer sill. After looking at the parts catalogs it
seemed that a lower and stiffer set of springs would make the most dramatic
improvement to the handling. I have a stock anti-roll bar and it doesn't seem
to help. (maybe its due for a replacement too) I may add a panhard rod as well
but for now I thought I would just try springs.  Also in another post, it was
mentioned that I may need to rebuild my front suspension, well that was last
years project, that was supposed to fix the bad handling also. The only regret
with that project is now I will have to take it all apart again to put in Poly
bushings.(We learn as we go??)

Thanks for the responses.
York Powell
72 Midget "the baby car"