1.75 SU vs Weber DCOE

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1.75 SU vs Weber DCOE
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:34:29 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I am at my wits end!
I now have 2) 1.75 SU set ups for the 1275. I also have a small fortune
invested in various needles from Burlen Fuel systems (nice guys BTW) And
lots of advise from APT including filing a flat on one of the needles.
If any of you guys are running a 1 3/4 SU HIF6, What is the secret?
I hear that they are soooo much better than a side draft Weber (at least
the Mini guys think so) Either they are complete idiots or they don't
know what a decent carburettor is.
I can not fit a pair of 1 1/4 SUs on my A40, the steering box is in the
way.
The 1 3/4 SU fits nice and it runs but it runs like a dog, a dead dog!
After about a year of down draft Webers, Nikki down drafts, and 2
completely different 1 3/4 SU set ups not to mention 3 or 4 different 1
3/4 SUs and all types of jets and needles, I put the side draft Weber on
it and it runs like it should.
So now my Bugeye is with out a carb!!!!! I put the 1 3/4 SU on it and it
is now a dead dog!
What is the secret to making it run. Oh, the idle is great but who idles
around town?
I am convinced the Mini guys don't know anything about these carbs. My
first one came from a Mini "expert" I put it on my son's Mini and he
pulled it off before the day was out, he prefered dual 1 1/4s over it
and I don't blame him.
Any needle advise from the Mini guys was usless. Burlen Fuel at least
knew what I needed not that it makes much of a difference. I have gone
to a super rich needle only to eat gas and choke out the neighborhood.
It still didn't run under a load.

Frank, pulling his hair out on another LBC

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ