Re: Suspension bushes

To: Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: Suspension bushes
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 15:58:34 -0500
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott wrote:

> No flames intended but it's time for my two bob's worth again.  I've been
> competing and daily driving in Sprites for more than twenty years and used
> to use nylon bushes but have reverted to the standard metalastic type.  In
> my experience nylon gives sharper feel but also makes the car less
> directionally stable and wears out the bearing surface in the wishbone
> which was not designed to be a bearing surface.  Sprite wishbones (and
> trunnions) were designed so the bush 'stuck' to the wishbone and the
> suspension deflection was taken up in the twist of the bush.  For this
> reason rubber grease shouldn't be used in assembly, if anything a smear of
> dishwashing liquid can be used.  All the bushes in a Sprite front end
> should also have crush tubes on the inner bores.
>
> Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott
> Melbourne  Australia
> toobmany@bigpond.com

I agree totally.
I also tried Urethane (plastic, nylon, whatever you want to call them)
bushings.
The ride was hard, the handling was twitchy, but those colors were cool!
I reverted back to stock metalastic (rubber to us US guys)and I have my
Sprite back the way it is supposed to be.
I also have been driving a Sprite for 27 years.
Plastic bushings would be great on the track but not on the road. (my
opinion)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ