Re: Carpet kits

Subject: Re: Carpet kits
From: "Bruce Woodward" <brucewoodward@kconline.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:29:29 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
toby,

I just installed the Moss carpet kit in my Midget Mark II after replacing
the floors and rear leaf spring mounting area including the "a-frames"
within the rear bulkhead.  Big job.... glad it's done.

I had the luxury of removing the old carpet to see where it all went. and
installed in the following order:

Note:  I used a spray adhesive I picked up at a local parts store that was
made for gluing carpet as per picture on the label.  and used a wallpaper
"breakoff" knife to trim all pieces once installed as I could make the blade
quite long to fit into the right angle corners.

1.  cross bar in front of the seats.  long piece about 7" wide and  little
over two feet long with square notch cut out of one corner.  Ihad to trim
about 3/4" off the end and once glued down, trimmed the excess that laid on
the floor.
2.  installed 2 1/2 foot long tapered pieces around transmission/motor
tunnel in front of cross bar.  had to trim quite a bit off, again doing the
trimming after gluing it in place.

3.   installed rear wheel arch pieces.  these were the hardest to fit until
glued in place, then did final trimming.  I first positioned the pieces
marking holes where two bolts came up thru.  I then sprayed the glue onto
the metal quite thick, let set up till real tacky, and then fit the pieces
pressing out all air and forming carpet to fit all contours.  Once glued and
stuck it shaped quite well.  I then trimmed off the overhang that was
hanging down over the bulkhead from the higher platform to the actual floor.
Wait until you fit (not install) the big piece that's obvious that fits
there.

4.  rear of transmission tunnel to aft of shifter.   the finished notch area
goes around the handbrake mounting brack.  I glued this piece in place and
then trimmed to fit square against the floor.

5. the big rear piece.  glued it down making sure no "bubbles" underneath
it.  I wrapped the aft finished end up against the vinyl panel over the
trunk divider.

6.  the floors under the seats.   I didn't glue these down as the seat would
hold them in place and I would want to remove if got really soaked with rain
to remove rubber drain plugs I installed.

7..  Ditto for front footwell mats.  The carpet padding just lays in, did
not glue for same reason as #6.  Had to cut out pad and carpet for
accelerator hinge, and had to cut carpet for pushbutton dimmer switch.

whole project took me two hours and two beers.  gravity bled my brakes at
same time as I had had rear axle out while welding in new floor/suspension
points.

I hope yours goes as well.   We had an enjoyable easter sunday evening drive
here in Indiana.

bruce@woodward-realty.com