Parts is Parts was new subscribers

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Parts is Parts was new subscribers
From: "Larry & Sandi Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:18:41 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
To: Todd Milliken <turbotodd@cyberstation.net>
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 09 April, 1999 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: another new subscriber

> As far as what it costs to completely rebuild a Spridget,  I tried to
> figure what it would cost to build a new one from available parts, I
> stopped a 20K and I am sure that there was at least another 10K to go
> on odds and ends.  I would guess that a very good driver can be had
> for less than 4K.  The first rule is not to ever add up your
> receipts,  every time somebody does you see them for sale.  "Over 20K
> invested, sacrifice for only 12,999" See what happens when you add it
> up.  Measure the fun value, don't count the dollars, and never tell
> your wife!
> --
> Mark
> 1970 Midget
> Nashville, TN

Mark

I could come close to putting a number on this. I just finished one where I
started with the following parts:

Tub and 1 door.
Windscreen glass, frame, and pillars.
Front and rear hubs (hubs only, no bearings, seals or studs)
Rear banjo and differential.
Rear half shafts.
Steering gear and mounting brackets.
Radiator ducting from the bonnet

I picked up the following at swapmeets, etc.:

1 door
Parking brake handle
License plate light plinth
Steering wheel plinth
Disc brake spring clips

I had the following parts from other cars:

Wiper arms
wiper motor and gear boxes
heater box
Master cylinder but had to have it sleeved
948 block, oil pan, timing cover, side covers, crank, and rods
1098 bare head
Datsun 5-speed and conversion kit

The rest came from parts catalogs and local vendors. Every nut/bolt/screw
in/on the engine and entire car was purchased new. I have the receipts but
no desire to know how much it all cost.