Re: '74 Midget Overheating Repairs

To: hubbard@idir.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '74 Midget Overheating Repairs
From: Ronsoave@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:55:55 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-04-10 11:45:40 EDT, hubbard@idir.net writes:

> My little by pass hose was plugged solid with crytalized gunk (coolant?)
>  and so was the inlet opening going to the water pump.  Could this be a big
>  part of my problem?  Would this cause the car to overheat only when
>  stressed?  By stressed I mean a hot engine sitting still in traffic - not
>  going 65 down the highway.
>
>  If a head gasket is "blown", is it always evident (i.e., a chunk blown
>  away) or can it just be compressed more in one area?  I'm hoping that I
>  don't have a warped head or something drastic.  But if that were the case
>  seems like I'd overheat more consistently.
>
>  Any advantage of filling with anti-freeze in the summer?  I was thinking of
>  going pretty much straight water through the hotter months and then getting
>  the system drained, flushed and filled in the fall in prep for winter.

Philip,
Deficiencies in the cooling system will be exploited when standing still -
lots less cooling air flow.  I've also had hoses that collapse on the inlet
side only at speed when there is higher coolant flow and greater suction
pressure.  Use the antifreeze for its anti-corrosive properties.  The rust
and corrosion will hurt you fast.  Aside from the Ethylene and Diethylene
Glycol in the anti-freeze, extra corrosion inhibitors are added as well.