Re: Toe In Adjustment

To: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Toe In Adjustment
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:58:19 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave Hiley wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>
> I recently put new tie rod ends on my car and plan to bolt on new wheels
> and tires real soon - maybe today. I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. The Haynes book says both tie rods are right hand thread.  Why is it
> that my brain doesn't quite get the picture?  Are they saying one is as you
> would expect and the other isn't or that they are both just as you would
> expect?  Or??
>
> 2. Haynes gives the toe in specs as 1/8".  Seems to me we used to use 1/2".
>  What is the current recommended number?  I am going to get it set at an
> alignment shop and I feel I want to tell them exactly what it is I want,
> not leave it to their discretion.

Dave

Both tie rod ends are right hand thread.
I run all my Sprites at 1/16" toe in minimum, 1/8" maximum.
I do this at home with a tape measure. (Us carpenter types are good that
way)
Anything more than 1/4" toe will make the car drive squirrely and eat up
your tires.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ