Re: 1.5" i.d. smooth bore muffler

To: "Shawn J. Tobin" <Shawn.Tobin@aud.alcatel.com>
Subject: Re: 1.5" i.d. smooth bore muffler
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:23:37 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Shawn,
there is a limit to the ID of a muffler up to which absorption works.
Beyond the size, the exhaust in the center of the pipe goes through
unhindered and the exhaust will be very loud.
You have to realize that you are trying to remove energy from the exhaust
to quiet it down.
With a "smooth bore" and a big visual diameter, you basically have a
straight pipe, not a muffler at all.

Ulix

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Shawn J. Tobin wrote:

> Anyone know of a 1.5" i.d. smoothe bore muffler with no restrictors, baffles
> or intrusive louvres?  I've heard the MK1 muff is too small.  What about the
> MK2-3?
>
> Shawn Tobin
> '69 midget
> JC WHitney glasspack with 1.75" id inlet and outlet but only 1.0625" visual
> internal diameter due to silencing louvers.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9