Re: Clunk and Bushes

To: PElliott@attws-wr.swest.attws.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clunk and Bushes
From: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:52:30 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Patrick
Cant help on the clutch question but i recently did my radius arm
bushes so I can clear some stuff up there...
The rubber bushes are more$ coz they have inner and outer steel
sleeves. There are 8 poly bushes coz each hole in the r-arm accepts 2
bushes...you push 1 in from each side..
I went for the poly type and if you do too heres a few pointers..

*The entire job took an afternoon and I needed oxy-acetylene to cook
the bolts so that they freed up from the inner sleeves of the old
rubber bushes and could be withdrawn from their holes.CAREFUL OF THE
CLOSE PROXIMITY OF THE FUEL TANK WHEN USING OXY! In fact I couldn't
free the bolt/inner sleeve fusion so ended up changing torch nozzles
and cutting the bolts and replacing them..which was probably a good
move as the bolt surface must be smooth so as not to EAT the new
bushing in weeks.

*When the r-arms are out The bush outer sleeve is more than likely to
be fused to the hole so you may have to use a hacksaw blade to slice
the outer bush sleeve and peel it away from the hole in the r-arm.

*smooth the holes before inserting the new bushes for the
aforementioned reason.

*When replacing the rebushed r-arms take note not to over tighten the
bolts which is entireley possible,The steel sleeves of the ridgy-
didge (Australian for original/genuine) bushes prevent this, over
tightening will cause the 'bracket' walls to be squeezed together.
I did this a bit...oops.

They've only done  about 1500 miles but no sign of failure
yet...touch wood.
hope this helps
Andy

>From: "Elliott, Patrick" <PElliott@attws-wr.swest.attws.com>
>To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Clunk and Bushes
>Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 01:54:08 -0700
>
>In my '62 MKII I've discovered a clunking noise while driving. It
appears
>that the driver side radius arm bushes are shot.
> So I'm going to have to replace them soon. I looked at the Mini
Mainia web