Busted axle shaft?!!

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Busted axle shaft?!!
From: Packy Coleman <deadboy@hooked.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:20:35 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
It never showed up.  I guess I can't post anything from work.  It must
have something to do with my e-mail address there.  Anyway...

So this past Sunday I'm pretty sure that my own Sprite decided to break
an axle just as I was beginning to enjoy the warm sunny weather.

I've never had this problem so I've got a few questions I figured  you
all could help me answer.

First off, the symptoms: drive shaft turns, but sadly the rear wheels
don't. (man, that's a depressing sight!) There's no grinding or
thumping noise in the rear end when either the engine is engaged or the
car is rolled forward or backwards.  Am I safe in assuming that I have
a busted axle shaft?

Second:  Assuming that it is a busted axle shaft, what's the best way
to go about the repair?  Should I remove both shafts first, then remove
the whole axle so I can get inside it to open it up and clean out any
random bits of busted axle shaft?

Third: Is this going to be real expensive? A quick check of some
catalogs and parts flyers indicate a cost of about $250 per axle.
Should I replace them in pairs, or can I just do one?  Also I seem to
recall some earlier discussion regarding the quality of the shafts sold
by the larger distributors.  Is there a problem I should know about, or
do I just have an over active imagination?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.  I'm in entirely new
territory here when it comes to the rear end of this car.

If nothing else, I think I'm going to have a busy weekend!

Packy

1967 Sprite (known fondly during moments of mechanical concern on the
road as Miss Traci.)</fontfamily>

"The more a British sports car malfunctions, breaks, and/or falls
apart, the more endearing it becomes to the owner."