Flooding Midget?

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flooding Midget?
From: Dick Watson <dwatson@feist.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:37:14 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
First, thanks to all that answered my "Wandering Midget" inqury. I
narrowed it down to having my aloghnment shop set the Toe-in and tighten
my U-joints. However, before I could get it to him I ran into another
problem.

The last few time I have driven my '78 Midget, I have had some problem
starting it, my gas miledge has gone down, and after I have shut it
down, I could smell gasoline.I went out Saturday to start it and after
some sputtering, it wouldn't start and had a strong gas smell like it
was flooded. I tried a few more time throughout the day and no go.

Today I tried again and it started but still seemed like the mixture was
too rich. I had to keep the throttle up until it came up to operating
temp and it still had some dark smoke coming out the exhaust . I drove
it around the block and it seemed to run OK after it was warm . It has
the Stromborg carb with the automatic choke. Is thereb anything i can
adjust or do to make it better or should I take it in to the local shop
to adjust the carb. Keep in mind that I am mechanically challenged and
ahve limitrd home tools.

Any advice is again greatly appreciated. I am trying to get away next
weekend for the All British Show in Broken Arrow, OK and want to make
sure I can get there and back.

Dick Watson
'68 & '78 Midgets (both a little under the weather)