Intake Backfiring Update

To: "'Spitfires'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "MGList (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intake Backfiring Update
From: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:03:02 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Here's where I am now.

Spent the weekend doing some fixes such as

1. New plugs (NGK)
2. New Hoses (Between charcoal canisters the valve cover and the carb, and
the vacuum
        lines between the Distributor, carb, and EGR valve.  All conections
sealed with a
        little gasket glue)
3. Changed Oil - SAE 20/50 - nothing to do with backfiring - DCO problem
(see my other
        post)
4. Leaned carb a little (read further)

Backfiring has decreased down to nothing (rare).  THis spurred me to lean
the carb a little as my plugs were getting all black and sooty (sp?) and my
exhaust had a real strong smell of gas.  Now,  the engine backfires very
very occationally and only under hard acceleration.  I can live with that
for now.  I'm going to pick up an o-ring for the bottom of my dashpot (ZS
carb) from Joe Curto this week.  I hear he's one of the best with SUs.
Maybe I'll ask him to take a quick look and see what he thinks it might be.
I'll leave out the exorcism and voodoo incantations when I tell him what
I've done so far.

With that,  I have one more question.  What does the screw on the top of the
EGR valve do?

Michael

'78 Midget
'87 300zx