Make your own...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Make your own...
From: Ronsoave@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:51:33 EDT
Cc: dbrady@siebe-ec.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Had good luck making my own side curtain retaining fasteners tonight.  FYI -
The following assumes you've got a 5/16 - 24 bolt in there now - that's what
I had, but I'm not sure this is correct.

1. Buy some 5/16 rod from your hardware store - I bought 36" soft stuff for
ease of metal working.  Cost - $2.99
2. Buy little black knobs with 8-32 x 3/8 threaded section protruding off the
end - cost: $1.19 per knob x 4.
3. Go home (or to friends house with really good drill press).  Put Odds &
Sods by The Who on the shop stereo.
4. Pour beer into small glass on work bench (use a small glass so that you
think you're drinking more than you really are - getting a buzz is not a good
idea around power tools).
5.  Drill and tap a small 8-32 hole in the center of the end of the rod, 1/2
inch deep.
6.  Using die, cut threads on rod to desired length - I just used the length
of the old fasteners as a guide.
7.  Saw off the rod and taper the ends on grinding wheel.
8.  Screw in knob on the top of the rod, using loc-tite on the threads.
9.  Put on Side 2 of Odds & Sods
10. Repeat as necessary with remaining length of rod.  Meaty Beaty Big and
Bouncy by The Who may be substituted for Odds & Sods.

The resultant fastener does a hundred times better job of securing the side
curtains than the bolt that I was previously using, and it was fun. YMMV.

Ron