How to remove temp sending unit without breaking!

To: "Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: How to remove temp sending unit without breaking!
From: "Scott Johnston" <sjonston@dreamscape.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:04:13 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Fine shirt clad Spridget Heads,

Been driving the "Healey Monster" (stock 1098) to work all week and started
to hear a nasty rumbling from under the bonnet.  So tonight I open her up to
see what's going on in there and find the fan pulley wiggling all over the
place.  Ok, so, time for a water pump right?  So I wrestle with those *&^%
captive nuts holding the radiator in (who invented those anyway) and am now
ready to remove the sending unit.  Can't find a wrench that fits tight, so
go with the closest....but it won't budge. And of course the DPO has already
rounded off the nut...SOOOO what now?

Can it take heat from a propane torch without busting? Do I break out the
vise grips and tear it all to hell?

Also, the radiator looks pretty ratty and I have one from a 1275 laying
around the garage, any benefit in using the 1275 radiator in the 1098?
Cooling has not been a problem...never gets hot enough around here I guess.

thanks!

Scott Johnston (off to get a well deserved beer or 6)

1966 Sprite - Healey Monster