Re:Valve definition

To: mgrazian@ltcm.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Valve definition
From: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 08:07:36 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Michael,
A lean mixture burns hotter than a rich one, and also a rich mix serves to
"quench" the combustion chamber ,cooling it slightly.
A lean mix passes less lead or to be precise tetra-ethyl lead through the
chambers. Tetra ethyl lead  combusts and leaves a protective layer of lead
oxide on the valves and seats.
A burned valve, the ones I've seen at least, have been partly eroded
by hot gases blowing by. I've been told it can even be caused by a
cracked/leaky exhaust manifold.
Not sure how to determine one other than pulling the head, but I always find
that kind of theraputic.
ANDY