Re: Radiator cap

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com
Subject: Re: Radiator cap
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 15:12:50 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 07/5/1999  4:25:17PM,  ulix@u.washington.edu writes:

<< > I have a vertical flow radiator on a 1275,  I know the original radiator
cap
 > is suppose to be a 7 pound cap.  I have seen suggestions that a higher
 > pressure cap will provide a higher boiling point. What do you use?

 That is true.
 But the excess pressure also causes the radiator tank to swell and
 distort, and maybe eventually to burst. >>

Putting a cooling system under greater pressure by virtue of fitting a higher
rated pressure cap does not drop or change the temperature of the coolant.

The advantage of the higher rated pressure cap is that the coolant
temperature can raise that little bit more before the coiling system boils
over.  Of course, once the cooling system has boiled there is less coolant in
the system, the overheating gets worse etc.

Daniel1312