Re: '76 Midget seat functions

To: Dennis Bagwell <dennis@page-campbell.com>
Subject: Re: '76 Midget seat functions
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 13:16:13 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The levers on the sides of the seats do adjust the tilt of the seat back, but
not much at all.  If the mechanisms are rusted....good luck!  heh heh

As far as the headrests go, they should go up and down but not out.  You can't
remove them without forcefully pulling them out thereby bending the clips
inside that hold them in place.  I recently had my seat covers off and had
trouble getting the headrest off even then!  And rust doesn't help at all.  Try
pushing down on the headrests from above.  Sometimes they can get wedged/rusted
and it takes a little effort to free them.

adrian

Dennis Bagwell wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Let me introduce myself as I have been lurking and learning for a few weeks
>now and I now have a question. My name is Dennis Bagwell and I bought/saved a
>'76 Midget from destruction in March 1998.
> It is a daily driver that was going to be sent to salvage because the owner
>didn't want to do any more work on it and his soon-to-be-licensed troubled
>teenage son might sneak out in it and do all sorts of terrible things. Anyway,
>I got it and have been slowly getting it running again. It still needs things
>like a new top, paint, more carb work, etc. but I just LOVE driving the little
>bugger.....never owned one so I'm probably gonna be asking some dumb and/or
>repetitive questions...But as I have learned in my short time of lurking, you
>guys (and gals) seem to be very patient with us LBC newbies.
>
> Enough of that for now, on to the questions.
> 1) The seats have adjustable head rests (I assume) that will not budge for
>anything. One is all the way down, the other is halfway up, looks kind of
>wacky that way. Is there any trick that I'm missing to remove these from the
>seatbacks? I've tried penetrating spray and a hammer, as they seem to be
>rusted in place, to no avail. How can I get them out?
> 2) There is some sort of handle on the inboard side of the seatback. Is this
>a seatback recliner handle and if so, why won't the seat budge? The handle
>will move about half an inch but it doesn't seem to do anything? I'm thinking
>that maybe these seats are all rusted internally and the proper functions of
>these items can't be restored without completely dismantling the seats. Is my
>thinking correct?  Any way to get to these mechanisms without destroying the
>seat covers as they are alright?
>
> Any ideas/experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA
> Dennis Bagwell
> '76 Midget

>                                            !