Re: Windshield replacement

To: Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield replacement
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:05:20 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago.  Took about 2 hours, no big
hassle, except for getting the whole thing lined up with the
quarterlights properly.  That took another afternoon of intermittent
fiddling.

Am I the only one to not have a major problem?  Here are the tricks I
used:

1) Lubricate the seals liberally with dishwashing soap (the cheapest
stuff you can find).
2) Keep a spray bottle of water handy (dishwashing soap gets tacky if it
starts to dry out, and you want slippery, not tacky).
3) Use ratcheting web clamps (like furniture makers use) to squeeze the
frame pieces onto the seal, and to hold the frame pieces in alignment
while you screw everything together.
4) Use ratcheting web clamps (over the top of the assembled windshield
and under the top door hinge) to compress the windshield to body gaskets
while you put the bolts in.

I was thinking about putting up a web page on this, would this be
helpful?

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net