octane numbers

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: octane numbers
From: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:48:41 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
hi people,
I am wondering if anyone knows how they do ( and/or did) the octane number
calculations.
I know that:
*It is a measure of a fuels resistance to knocking or smoothness of
combustion.
*heptane [C7H16]has an octane number of zero (it sucks as a fuel)
*iso-octane [C8H18]has octane number 100.
Anybody know how they grade everything in between?

Actually while doing this message I visited the caltex website at:
www.caltex.com.au
There are differet types of octane numbers; RON-research octane number
MON-motor octane number(lower than RON) and AKI-anti-knock index.
AKI is the average of the other two i.e (RON+MON)/2
RON is the number posted at service/filling stations, in Australia at least.
The tests are carried out in a single cylinder engine.
Andy