Stupid Learning Experience

To: spidgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Daniel1312@aol.com" <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Stupid Learning Experience
From: HFC <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:49:47 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Fellow Spridgeteers,

Daniel said it and here's one of my own:

While on a cruise in FROGGI ('60 Bugeye), the bushing in the tach drive
end of the generator started making a "serious" noise.  Disconnecting
the cable and removing the tach gear box did away with the noise.  What
happened somewhat later I'll never forget.  The car died and smoke
billowed from under the bonnet.  The cable came loose, fell down and
shorted across the hot side of the coil.  Toasted the cable sleeve,
melted numerous wires, and left me stranded 150 miles from home.  To
make an even longer story short, I cut off the shorted wires, cut a
piece long enough to hot-wire the car and drove back home.  Doo-doo
happens!
WFO Herb