Re: A tangent, but maybe an interesting one...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A tangent, but maybe an interesting one...
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 23:37:15 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Richard D Arnold wrote:

> >Interesting to see all the folks who read The Red Car.  Others might
> >include Crash Club. Others that don't come to mind immediately but
> >that are out there....
>
> I remember Crash Club!  By Henry Gregor Felsen, I believe.  I think he
> also wrote Boy Gets Car and Hot Rod.
>
> Another one from my youth was Road Race.  Can't think of the author's
> name, but it was a 'coming of age' book about a teenager named Dave who
> loves cars, builds a Model A out of old parts, and gets drug into trouble
> by the local ne'er do well.  The town's rich guy takes Dave under his
> wing, lets him help work on the Duesenbergs that he races at Pike's Peak,
> and generally teaches him a 'Safety Fast' kinda thing.
>
> Rich
> (feeling old this evening after realizing that most new college students
> have never listened to a 45 or 8-track, or played Pong)
I remember Road Race, I read it about the smae time as "Catcher with the
glass arm" and those other Matt Christopher type books. I was
remembering that book while I was reading some of the other books in
this thread, but couldn't remember the title. That book taught me the
meaning of a "Grand Prix slide", and I always remembered that.

Thanx for the memory
Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC