Re: Thanx for the opinions(I think)LONNG!

To: <toyman@htcomp.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thanx for the opinions(I think)LONNG!
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 21:16:54 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
First and Foremost... TOM CRUISE IS AN ACTOR.... Us real Gun Dummies as we
called ourselves wouldn't be caught dead singing in a bar....(less of
course we thought it could lead to extra curricular activities... ) Besides
we are GOOD LOOKING and DRIVE SPORTS CARS.... hmmm can't wait to read the
flames from that...

Okay on to the speed deal..... WANNA COME PROVE HOW FAST THAT ROTARY IS?
I know this guy who really is into speed... and LOTS OF IT...

You could consider this a challenge if you chose to.... But I will be fair
to you... and let you race that Rotary against our guy with a Datsun 510
with a Rotary...( he runs something called a Perifial Port?) and he is SLOW
by my standards..

If I can keep a drive shaft in the Camaro on the 5&6th of Jun I should
break into the light 180 range... and in August I should be running on the
salt at Bonneville at just over 200mph... yeah now that is the need for
speed....

Hey if you can't Fly the AH-64 Apache you might as well go fast on the
ground

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )

----------
> From: toyman@htcomp.net
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Thanx for the opinions(I think)LONNG!
> Date: Thursday, May 13, 1999 12:14 PM
>
> Hey gang,I hope I can call yall that,being new and all.I've only been
here a
> week,my wife watches her soaps and I read yall,and I've really enjoyed
the
> knowledge that is shared here.Which leads me as to why I asked my "vs"
> question.When I saw 50 some replys to my queation I thought I would I
would be
> as popular as Rodney King at the L.A. Policeman's Ball!:-)!Your answers
were
> both entertaining and insightful.I was curious to your reactions before I
let
> the other shoe drop.I feel I have a decent feel for the group,Montana Bob
is
> gonna give me the red arse for this post.Mike Graziano,your car don't
run?Two
> words ROTARY MIDGET. WAIT!DON'T SHOOT!! Allen Hefner talks about
> 100mph,done,Chris Kotting mentions Jap tranny,there(motor also),Adrian
Barnes
> and Hal Faulkner like fast cars ,this is it,Scott Fisher said its whats
under
> the hood that counts,so please hear me out.
> I love cruising in our guards red 68 Sprite but too often when you want
> change lanes you have a rubbernecker pacing you staring and speeding up
won't
> work,they will to.I live in a county filled with pastures,some containing

> Midgets I've bought 4 or 5 for under $100 no motor or tranny.Do we gut or
do we
> play frankenstein and give it life (of a sort)A very good friend of mine
David
> Hanna was able to squeeze a RX7 engine into a 73 Midget body that was a
donor
> at first.WHY A ROTARY? you ask.here is an engine that weighs almost the
same as
> your stock motor,and with a little work will tweak at 175hp with smog.It
is
> small enough to fit under bonnet with air cleaner modification(use airbox

> set-up)the guy next to you at the stoplight doesn't know he's been
spanked HARD
> till your a block away.The Midget would sit and spin in circles if you
didn't
> walk it out of the hole,the stock Midget rear end held up better than we
> thought it would.Did I mention 175hp,what about when you slap on a
delortto
> carb and a header,your gonna touch 200hp or better,easy.We are not
> discriminating,a 76 is being converted now for use on the street (as in
> legal,we hope).David just finished converting a dead 1972 TR6 to rotary
> power.he's behind me telling me it about fellin on it's own.Very simple
> install he claims.The rotary is not fuel efficient but as Mazda says "a
joy to
> drive" isn't that what our cars are about?RX7's are not understood by
many and
> can be bought cheap(here at least)Puerto Rican folks around here know
these
> motors well as they race them at home.Frank Clarici,this ain't no Ford
> motor,this thing runs,fast enough that the rear end goes sideways every
time
> you change gear and nail it.My finger prints are in the header rail as
> proof:-)I want to thank Paul Asgeirsson,Andy Webster,Bill
Miller,Metallian,and