Re: Generator testing

To: Justin Cook <justincook@yahoo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Generator testing
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:39:41 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Justin,

If you end up needing a rebuild, I can highly recommend RITE-WAY ELECTRIC,
1-800-732-8663. He's in downtown San Francisco, but he will ship as I
recall. He did a Bosch alternator for me a couple years ago for a fraction
of the cost of a rebuilt replacement, and I got to keep my original. He
also turned it around in under two hours, so I wasn't without my car for an
extended period of time. He specializes in starters, alternators and DC
motors. Speak to Jeff Berg, he's the owner and a really great guy. His
gives a guarantee also.

I have no financial interest, just a satisfied customer.

Gerard

At 6:48 AM -0700 5/18/99, Justin Cook wrote:
>I believe my charging system on my 66 sprite is not working correctly.
>To confirm this I pulled the ground off of the battery while the engine
>was running and the car immediately died (and arced where I pulled the
>cable off).
>
>Now let me get this straight: to test the generator (according to
>haynes) I disconnect the leads from it, short the terminals with bare
>wire (!) and read the potential difference from that bare wire to
>chassis (at idle).  It should read 15V.  If it reads 0V I need new
>brushes.  If it reads 1V some of the windings are bad.
>
>Assuming the brushes are bad, is it worth it (quick and easy) to
>replace them. Or do you just buy a new generator?
>
>All opinions appreciated...
>JC
>

>Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux