Fan Belt Alignment

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fan Belt Alignment
From: Bill & Cindy <fatboy@metro.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 21:48:06 +0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
List,

A couple of days ago I posted a message about the screwy fan belt alignment
on our 1275cc motor. The problem was/is that the generator seems to sit
about 3/8" to far back, or in other words, the centerline of the generator
pulley is about 3/8" behind the centerline of the water pump pulley.

Both Crash and Frank reminded me to be certain that the front ear of the
generator is mounted ahead of the water pump ear. Was/is...that ain't the
problem.

Now...if I measure from the rear face of the top front generator  (22700)
mounting ear to the centerline of the pulley I come up with a dimension of
1.250" approximately. For what it is worth "Moss" lists 22258, 22742, 22775
and 22715, but NOT 22700 as replacement generator numbers for 62 to 71
Spridgets. Ours is a fairly original 69.

Whew!!!Please, bear with me, I'll get to the point shortly. Here's what I'm
after. If anyone has a 22258, 22742, 22775 or 22715 generator and could
measure the dimension stated above ( from the rear face of the top mounting
ear to the centerline of the pulley)...I'm thinkin' the dimension might be
1.625", or .375" more than that of the 22700. In other words...I might have
the wrong freakin' generator!!! If anyone cares to prove me right or wrong
on this it will be appreciated.

And yeah...I know...I'm waiting for someone to chime in here about
converting to an alternator...and I know that I probably should, and
probably will some day...but for now, I hate an unsolved mystery.

Thanks,

Bill & Cindy
Santa Rosa, CA

98 Sea Ray 190 BR