Re: Bleeding Brake failure

To: RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bleeding Brake failure
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:08:56 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/25/99 9:30:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca writes:

<< Is there a simple explanation as to why I should have started with the
 furthest?  (I'll start there when I resume, ... just curious.)  >>

I'll give it a shot.  You should (normally) start with the longest brake line
when bleeding the brakes, because you are trying to purge air from the lines.
 You get the air out of the line and cylinder farthest (Not furthest.  OOPS!
Didn't mean to be the grammer police!) from the master cylinder first so that
air from the rest can't get back in that line.  If you do the close ones
first, air can back up the longer line and you might get a bubble in the
short line.  (Soft pedal, start over!)

Now...if you have a dual master cylinder Spridget, the procedure is
different.  In the Bentley Manual it describes the process clearly.  The
object is to bleed the left rear and right front at the same time, then bleed
the right rear and left front at the same time.  This is done to keep the
brake pressure switch centered.  (I don't have the manual here at work, but I
believe I got it right.)

In any case, it doesn't hurt to read the manual.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo lRV Sport