Re: HELP with rings etc. 1275 midget (and a new car!)

To: Palmer Family <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: HELP with rings etc. 1275 midget (and a new car!)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:40:42 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Palmer Family wrote:

> I just got the head back from the machince shop ($275). He welded the
> cracks, put new stem seals, new hardened valves and seats, and planed it.  I
> put it back on and still produces a very unhealthy cloud of Blue smoke.
> Compression is a suspect too, I got 110, 90, 90, 110psi.
>
> I now know that I need to do rings.  My though was that I would just pull
> the head again and drop the pan and pull the piston out (engine still in the
> car)

Barry,
I assume that you are on a budget.  I would do as you say, but also change
the rod brgs. and you'll have to hone the cylinders for teh new rings.
You an do this easily with a hone on an electric drill.  These are not
very expensive, and some auto parts stores will rent you one or loan it to
you for free.
Wait to order the rings and bearings until you have removed them and
inspected them to see if they are stock or over/undersized.

> I need some advice on how, where, and how much new rings would cost me(oil +
> Compression)

They are available anywhere and should be cheap.

> Also, how much a new set of pistons is, just so I know in case.

About $150 for a set with rings.

> Another question, how would I go about measuring to get the right sized
> rings?  I have micrometers....

If you have stock pistons, you have to use stock rings.  What should be
measured to do things right is the bore.  I find it hard to do this
without the right tool.  Many people on a budget just slap in new rings
and hope for the best.
Other tools you should try to rent or borrow are a ridge reamer and piston ring
pliers.  You will definitely need a ring compressor.

> Thanks,
>     -Barry
>
> P.S.  I broke down a month ago and bought a back up car for the garage
> ridden midget, It's a 66 VW Baja bug.  It's also my offroad car instead of a
> truck.

I didn't know one had to have an offroad car and that this was usually a
truck...  :-)

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9