Sway Bar mountings

To: "Spridget List (E-mail)" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sway Bar mountings
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:50:03 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I knew it was inevitable, but I didn't think it would be so dramatic. My
fat sway bar ripped the bottom out of the frame member yesterday. The sound
of it led me to believe that death was imminent, I almost soiled my armor,
but I was all right. (it happened in a curve of course) The metal doesn't
seem rusty at all, it just pulled a chunk out of what is basically
sheet-metal.

How to repair? My plan is to remove both bushing mounts, grind out the
useless material that tries to hold them in place now, and replace with
thicker steel. I might as well put some rust inhibitor inside the frame
horns while they are opened up.

 I know that at least Ulix has gone through this, so I ask: are  there any
tips? How thick did you go? Did you put your new plate over the ends of the
vertical pieces or recessed between them? Since all steel isn't created
equal, what am I looking for, when I get the new pieces? Did you re-use the
threaded pieces that were there originally, or weld on captive nuts/thread
the new steel?

I have zero skill at welding myself, so I'll make a buddy or my
father-in-law, who can do this in his sleep, do the actual welding, but I
want to have all the prep work done.

Phil Vanner
well, you can't say I baby it.