Re: Upgrade questions

To: AHSprite78@aol.com
Subject: Re: Upgrade questions
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:44:16 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 AHSprite78@aol.com wrote:

> The tach for one thing doesn't register correctly, but I'll get to that
> later.  I was thinking of upgrading to the crane cams electronic ignition or
> the pertronic ignitor electronic ignition.  Suggestions? Other systems? Would
> replacing this help with the tach?

Check the archives.
I would go with the Pertronix (I have the Crane).
I doubt it would help with the tach.

> Also I'm looking into replacing the coil, I've looked at the Bosch super coil
> (red or blue?,) the 3 crane cams coils (stock 25,000v street 40,000v and
> chrome 70,000v), and the Lucas Sport coil (40,000v) suggestions comments on
> coils?

Again, check the archives, there is an issue with ballast vs. no ballast
coils.

> Finally (for now) the rear suspension.  It feels like it's loose.  I used the
> springs that I got with the car, who knows how old those are.  What I'm
> considering is new rear springs and the rear tube shock conversion with
> either Carrera shocks (Winner's Circle) or the Spax ones from Victoria.  Is
> something like a panhard bar or maybe even a rear sway bar worth looking
> into?  Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how much new springs will do if your old ones are busted.  I
also don't know what quality replcement 1/2 elliptic springs are.

A Panhard bar will make a big difference.  I have the one from MM.
I would get rebuilt lever shocks from Peter C. all around.  You can
specify stiffness.  I don't think tube conversions are quite worth the
money (I have the WC Carrera conversion in the front).
Read my views (if you care) at:
http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/SpriteSusp.html
There are pictures of the shock conversion and the PH bar.

Are your suspension bushings all good?

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9