Re: 1500 overdrive

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 overdrive
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:23:24 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
If I can chime in here:  The 5 speed conversion (at least that I am
aware of) for the 1500 Midget is put together by the folks at Frontline
Spridget in the UK.  It uses a Ford Sierra gearbox.

The Ford Sierra was marketed here in the US as the Merkur XR4Ti.  A
pretty rare beast, but not totally out of the question.  There obviously
are some cahssis modifications required, since the kit includes a new
chassis crossmember, a fiberglass transmission tunnel and replacement
carpet for the tunnel.

That is (at this point) the limit of my knowledge.  What I don't know is
whether the Frontline conversion works with the XR4Ti parts (I'd think
it would, but there might be LHD-RHD issues).

If you wan to explore it further, I'd suggest you send email to
frontline@mgcars.org.uk

Hope that helps.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net