Re: Front Brake hoses

To: Guy <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Front Brake hoses
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 07:34:23 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Guy,
It seems that I remember that when I installed these hoese they were a
little longer than stock.  Do you have some stock hoses to compare to?

On your car, does the metal brake line come through the hole in the
bodywork that the shock sticks through, or does it come through a little
hole drilled into the inner fender?  This was changed at one point and may
make a difference.

Ulix

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Guy wrote:

> Hello, 3 or 4 years ago I bought a set of Goodridge ss braided brake hoses
> in preparation  for rebuilding my 1971 Sprite.  Everything assembled now and
> I was doing a final check before its first MOT since the rebuild.
> I found that the front flexible hoses are at full stretch when I jack up the
> front of the car.
> They are in fact preventing the top suspension arm from fully compressing
> the bump stop rubbers, and clearly this is highly dangerous to drive,
> although everything works fine as it is.
> During the rebuild I have had wooden spacers under the top suspension arm so
> as to avoid bump stop rubber everytime the car is jacked up, and it is only
> now that these spacers have been removed that the fault has become apparent.
>
> The car is in standard spec, so I can only think that the Goodridge hoses
> are too short and are the wrong ones.
> They measure at 280mm (11 inches) from the face of the flange nuts at each
> end.
>
> Anyone come across that?
> Anyone know what length they should be?
> Can't find a Goodridge web site