Re: Long; Progress on front end rebuild

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Long; Progress on front end rebuild
From: LBCarNut@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:30:11 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/30/99 11:00:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
richard.arnold@juno.com writes:

> Now, there's no
>  play at all with the nut torqued into place, but one side turns with only
>  the slightest resistance, and the other side requires more effort.  Both
>  sides still turn freely, though.

Ideally there should be no play and no resistance

>  Am thinking I need to replace a shim on the tighter side.  I didn't
>  torque the trunnion nut when I checked the play (yes, I know, dumb), but
>  perhaps another shim and torqueing the nut will equalize the amounts of
>  resistance.  What is the list wisdom on this?

I would try adding a thin shim to the the side with resistance provided that
it does not cause play. The shims come in different thicknesses measure with
a micrometer. Go for no play least resistance.

Regards,
Peter S.