Re: Camshafts

To: <Kroyell@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Camshafts
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:37:41 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I used to have the 266 cam in my 1380. It is indeed a very nice
street cam. I've gone up to a 286 but only because I use the car in
competition (rallies) as well as on the street.

BTW, It isn't just the cam that determines how nice the car is to drive,
I've just recently changed one particular engine from unusable except
on the track (you couldn't get the car to start rolling unless to used over
5000 rpm -very hard on the clutch!), to an engine that is usable as a
road car in a  pinch (except that it needs avgas). The cam is 320
degree full race - the difference? By changing the cam timing and
changing ignition timing a bit, the whole character of the engine has
markedly changed with very little loss in top end power (but huge
improvement in mid range torque and we all know that while top end
HP sells engines, mid-range torque wins races!)

The only catch is that a dyno was used to find these superior cam
and ignition timing settings. However, an experienced engine builder
may well already know all this and advise appropriately.

Mike