brake balancing

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: brake balancing
From: Craig P Carter <craig@papillon.its.yale.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:32:59 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I took my 74 Midget through the Connecticut State safety inspection last night
(required for new registration) and it passed on every point except brakes. The
test procedure calls for driving straight onto ramps at around 5 mph and
stopping quickly on sensor pads which can detect the braking action of each
wheel. A computer monitor shows the inspector a graphic display of this from
which he can determine if each brake is working and adjusted properly.

My front disks were fine but the rears were nearly undetectable. I'm hoping
that they simply require adjusting. I'm wondering if anyone with experience
with that sort of brake test might have suggestions and/or advice for optimal
setting of the brakes to pass the inspection.

Craig